canberrabirds

Litle Pied Cormorant & Egret

To: "'John Layton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Litle Pied Cormorant & Egret
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:12:57 +1100

John  -  I don’t understand you to be suggesting that species A would do something simply for the benefit of species B (setting aside humans and perhaps their devoted dogs or other trained animals).   Furthermore, we are not looking for examples of species A doing something for its own benefit that  also benefits species B  (the example of schools of tuna forcing bait-fish to the surface where they are accessible to seabirds).  Rather we are looking for examples of species A and species B behaving in a way that benefits both species.  The honeyguide and honey badger would be an example.

Flocking behaviour involving more than species might deserve study.  I think it quite likely that mixed flocks roost or feed together for self-protection.  There is a Wikipedia article under ‘Mixed-species foraging flock’ which suggests the ‘key benefits’ are ‘a reduction in predation risk through increased vigilance’.   Although associated mainly with the tropics, we get such assemblages here in winter of course.  Steve Wilson thought the central  species was the Yellow-rumped Thornbill, and the flocks disintegrated when the YRTs broke off to start nesting.   While aerial hunters like the G Fantail might join in for the flushed insects, that does not explain the participation of surface-gleaners like pardalotes, tree-creepers, whistlers etc.  MFFs could be an example of mutual assistance in food-gathering.

Getting back to the egret and cormorants, the egret certainly benefited from fish being driven in, but I doubt the stealthy egret would drive them back out to shagland.  It’s possible that cormorants associate with egrets or other waterbirds for the ‘flock-protection’ reason, but the way I see it the cormorants are strongly food-driven and when in feeding mode just go where the fish are.   However the egret certainly knows the advantage of associating with feeding cormorants.  Just today I watched one make a series of rapid short flights in a not very successful  attempt to stay abreast of the feeding cormorants (below).

egret and lbc_8470.jpg