canberrabirds

Impacts of rain on breeding success?

To: "'chat line'" <>
Subject: Impacts of rain on breeding success?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:26:56 +1100

In response to Michaels obs on the koels this year, around here (Rocky Knob) there is more activity than in previous years.  I think I mentioned that in previous years a single male would sit in a tree-top koeling for hours on end, rather unproductively.  The male here this year is much more businesslike, koeling only briefly at one spot before changing position, listening alertly,  and giving plenty of wurras when excited.  A female is regularly about and at least one other male, probably two, is often within earshot.  Incidentally, Malcolm Fyfe tells me koels are being reported in Cowra.

The unusual call I mentioned previously is heard perhaps every second day.  I think this must be what is referred to in HANZAB under 'other calls':  'four loud harsh single calls given by displaying male, with similar calls by female in reply'.  This is a loud, sometimes startling, 'wuh-huh-huh-huh'.  It is rather like a loud version of the morning call of the Hooded Robin - but only the first 4 notes of the 5.

Below are this morning's snaps.  The female ducks below a wattlebird attack while giving its 'buzz-alarm' call, and a male approaches the female in a leafy tree.  Both show signs of having been at the prunus.

koels.jpg