canberrabirds

Shorebird id help sought

To: <>
Subject: Shorebird id help sought
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:08:08 +1100

Hi Leo

Very topical! This is a Red Knot, a first-year bird judging from what appear to be some retained juvenile feathers in the wing. Sanderling would have whiter, unmarked underparts, black legs, and a comparatively shorter bill. Also your photo shows a hind toe which Sanderling lack – I think they are the only small sandpiper that doesn’t have one.

cheers

Steve