canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk book Native Trees of the ACT 2

To: "kamprad" <>, "COG List" <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk book Native Trees of the ACT 2
From: "kamprad" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:56:18 +1100

Dear David & COGites

The edition I have is a 2007 edition. I would think it is the latest edition. I was also interested in the Allocasuarina particularly Allocasuarina verticillata previously called Casuarina stricta. Some pictures to our chatline confirmed my ID. I now have approx. 60 plants replanted from local seed on our place. Following the advice of local farmers I have placed serious guards around them as everything likes to eat them.

Cheers Julienne

Dear Julienne

I have that book.  I thought that may have been the one you were speaking of.  It certainly has good diagrams of the structure of the Casuarina spp.

Interestingly, my book is a 1990 reprint of the first (1983) edition with amendments and additions, but it does not have genus Allocasuarina.  The 1991 edition of Prior and Banks refers to the ?relatively new? genus of Allocasuarina.  Wrigley and Fagg say that the genera were separated in 1982.

Cheers

David