canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk report

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk report
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:47:25 +1100
I don't know, one stops off at the Yass Rd Takeaway for an excellent hamburger and on arriving home finds that a small amount of thunder has been stolen.  The next two entries are for consideration by the editors of Gang-gang

Wednesday Outing report for 17 November: Hall TSR and Cemetery

18 members and guests gathered on the Barton Highway at the correct end of Victoria St .  We then had a splendid morning's birding in the somewhat swampy surrounds of the Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR) and whatever the contiguous bit of woodland is across the border fence.  In summary, at the TSR we recorded 39 species of birds of which 13 showed at least one form of breeding activity.  Those who went on to the Cemetery for a brief snuffle round added a further 3 species and a further 4 breeding records.

The TSR breeding efforts (in chronological, rather than taxonomic, order) were Varied Sitella (NB - before we had climber the gate), Crimson Rosella (IH) Dollarbird (DI) Red-browed Finch (CO, ON) Willie Wagtail (NY), Dusky Woodswallow (ON) Noisy Friarbird (ON) Sacred Kingfisher (CF) Common Mynah (CF) Cresed Shrike-tit (ON) Leaden Flycatcher (NB - we couldn't think of any other reason why they were flying with a beakful  of spider web) Laughing Kookaburra (CF)  and Eastern Rosella (IH).    To these we added, at the Cemetery, Magpie-lark (ON) Noisy Miner (ON) Australian Magpie (DY) and White-winged Chough (NY).

Other 'special' birds added were Superb Parrot and Brown Treecreeper!  Particular attention was paid to the legs of the Brown Treecreeper and,as far as could be determined,  they were unadorned by bands of any description.

Wednesday Walks for December and January
In the past we have not held a walk in December but those present in November agreed that we should walk in both months.  This is of course subject to there not being a total fireban on the selected days: if that should be the case the event will be cancelled.
  • December 15 Callum Brae: meet at 9am at the gate on Mugga Lane at 9am.
  • January 19:  Brindabellas.  An all-day outing.  Carpool at Stromlo Forest Park off Urriara Rd.  Check the rank grass along the roadsides for grassland birds, Urriara Homestead Dam, and then walk a bit at spots along the road South of Bulls Head including Chalet Road and Mt Aggie.