canberrabirds

FW: Bird ID - ?Brown Songlarks

To: <>
Subject: FW: Bird ID - ?Brown Songlarks
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:32:50 +1100

Any ideas please – I have been unable to find anything similar to these birds in Pizzey or Simpson and Day!

Yesterday 3.30pm SW corner Narra Hill I disturbed two, all over dark brown, birds that shot up and out of the long grass near me and up into the tall tree in front of the gate leading up to the water tank.  Size was similar to that of a Grey Shrike Thrush and body shape and features similar.

They both sat there very still and quietly for what seemed a long time so I had a good look from below – however could not see the full extent of the tail feathers.  Tails appeared to be relatively short from my vantage point.

One bird appeared to be immature as it was downy looking and almost fell out of the tree in the wind.  The other bird managed the wind but was buffeted a little.

Both birds had large dark eyes and dark relatively slender bills.  There appeared to be a hint of rufous amongst the brown underbelly feathers and in the throat area.

The bird that appeared to be older had some rufous brownish markings on the wing edges – not fully seen as partially obscured by a twig.

I think the best identifier was the straggly flight of the older bird as it left the tree and flew quite a long distance away.  I have seen Brown Songlarks displaying at Oolambeyan but not seen them perched for long periods so was puzzled for quite a while about what these birds could be.  The younger bird stayed in the tree. It appears these birds have bred in the vicinity.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jean