canberrabirds

White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:46:08 +1100
An interesting question. However, I think that with this species the term
'over-wintering' is particularly inapposite.  The BA atlas shows the species
as recorded sparsely and patchily, but with little seasonal distinction,
through south-east Australia.  HANZAB shows the 'known breeding
distribution' as all over the place, 'known' being a significant adjective,
I would think. The only place I have come across a nesting pair was in the
Capertee Valley. I think this species is a pronounced wanderer in the
non-breeding season, movements depending on food concentrations.  Where food
is available and other conditions to its liking it can linger for several
days or even weeks - like the hooded morph at Campbell Park a few years ago,
or the pale/intermediate morph around the Newline Paddock a couple of years
ago.

As to where they can occur, the answer seems to be just about anywhere.  I
have had a pair in my backyard, and there seem to be reports each year of
the odd transiting bird in various suburbs. However, they are most likely to
linger in mature woodland, like Campbell Park, the Newline Paddock or Callum
Brae.  The main thing is to examine ALL cuckoo-shrikes you come across. They
are known to consort with the familiar BFCS.