canberrabirds

Bird baths - and mozzies

To: "'Peter Ormay'" <>, <>
Subject: Bird baths - and mozzies
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:31:43 +1000

I was about to have my penny’s worth with a comment about mosquitoes when Peter’s email popped up.  I would like to add to that by stressing the importance about completely emptying them and refilling regularly (circa once a week in warm weather) to interrupt the mosquito breeding cycle.  If the mozzies ever spoil your barbeque, go and look for stagnant water containers around your house, they need not be big or obvious, e.g. saucers under pot plants, bottles, old tyres etc.  This summer, with all the water lying around, mosquito-borne disease such as Ross River virus may well be on the rise.

I have a large plastic tub under my only eucalypt tree, and it has to be tipped over and refilled regularly in the summer.  Amazing how the eucalypt responded to the extra bit of water.