canberrabirds

Bird baths

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, <>
Subject: Bird baths
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:45:02 +1000
A lesson from the thread (other than to not run over the birdbath - might hurt the car ...) is to get one with a basin that's separate from the base so it's easy to tip and empty (and the base stays securely on the carefully leveled ground ...), and have it readily accessible for cleaning & adding water. Mine is not as accessible as I would wish, but OK for emptying and refilling every couple of days in summer (less frequently in winter). Mine has a very rough surface, and a good flat edge.
I noticed a rather too scruffy CR at it last summer, and not wanting possible disease spread I immediately emptied the basin, and did not refill for a few days - perhaps should also have done the bleach job ... (did not notice that CR again).
BTW - lovely male Golden Whistler in the trees outside my office in recent days - there have been females /juveniles around. Lots of YFHEs enjoying the grevilleas, and, I think, a New Holland Honeyeater (did not get a clear view).
cheers
Barbara

I think the observations about ravens dunking bread and whatever are fairly typical. And yes it does make it hard to keep clean. I can say I have given up on having a bird bath. Or that happened when a few years ago I accidentally drove the car over it and wrecked it. I used to just scrub it out with a brush every few days when I felt in the mood. They require much more maintenance than you might think at seeing one in the landscape shop and think oh that is a nice idea. For a start, even on a slightly sloping block, it is hard to get them to stay upright. The idea of using bleach etc to clean it seems a bit over the top. First I have heard of going to that extreme.

I think the designs of most of these things are terrible. They are usually shallow bowl shaped and smooth surfaced and thus minimally useful for small birds as they are much too deep.