canberrabirds

escapee-pigeon ?

To: "Cog Chatline" <>
Subject: escapee-pigeon ?
From: "Roger Curnow" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:20:41 +1000
Hi All

Thanks to Ian, Mark, and Julian amongst others for the identification.
i am mortified that i could not recognize a Spotted Turtle-dove from five metres away.
In my defense it did not see any spots, though three or four showed up in the photo.
I presume they were hidden by its being fluffed up in the cold.

The bad news is that there were at least two,
probably exactly two, in the same spot ( Jaramlee Pond ) 24 hours later.
Is there some way of catching them other than throwing my binoculars
and hoping for a direct hit?

        roger curnow
Hi All

Could somebody identify this pigeon for me, please?
I presume it is an escapee; is the owner likely to be interested?
Larger picture can be obtained by clicking on the one below.
                       roger curnow