canberrabirds

that moth - and a good reason to take a holiday on the Barrier Reef [SEC

Subject: that moth - and a good reason to take a holiday on the Barrier Reef [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:25:20 +1000

Hello,
We've covered this fairly exhaustively,  but I'm forwarding a short summary from Ted Edwards, CSIRO  Entomology Canberra, about the moth Lindsay was asking about and which we saw on the COG Cowra trip at Easter.  It suggests a spare-time project that might lead to some interesting birding locations too!
Muriel E

This is Utetheisa pulchelloides in the family Arctiidae. The larvae feed on boraginaceous herbs including Echium (Paterson's Curse), borage and heliotrope.  The bright speckled colours of the moth are a sure sign that it is poisonous and in fact it sequesters pyrrolizidine alkaloids from its larval foodplants.  The bright colours and poisons have resulted in a large number of extremely similar species around the world. A classic case of Muellerian mimicry.

In Australia, U. pulchelloides is found on boraginaceous herbs, mostly in northern Australia but in good seasons spreading south commonly throughout the mainland. Another almost identical species is found throughout the north but rarely found south of  about Brisbane. The larvae of this feed on the pea genus Crotalaria which, it is no accident, also contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids.
There is also a suite of species around the northern coast of Australia and into the Pacific Islands which feed on Messerschmidia argentea (or whatever the current genus is) a common strand plant mostly on off shore islands.  These need much more study but in spite of repeated attempts no scientifically useful collections of these have been made from the islands of the Great Barrier Reeef. Anyone planning a holiday on the islands could do useful work collecting these moths but the collections need to be comprehensive as several species may occur together.

Cheers,
Ted.

Moth ID
from [Lindsay Hansch]