canberrabirds

FINCH CENTRAL

To: "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: FINCH CENTRAL
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:25:23 +1000

I am sure someone will tell Vivien, but may I recall for those who regard the name as something of a trivial throw-away that it is not without its history on this chatline.  When I mentioned Len Deighton’s ‘London Central’, and gave the etymology as Martin’s coinage from a line in “Ghostbusters”, Julian drew attention to his own original use of it in reporting a finch-abundant excursion to the area.  Julian had in mind an allusion, perhaps obscure, to “Finchley Central” rail station on the Northern Line, near which both he and (coincidentally) I had lived during respective (well separated) periods in London.  Martin generously conceded Julian’s prior creation, while maintaining his own inability to disassociate the name from the 1984 spoofy classic.