canberrabirds

bats

To: "'Christopher Tidemann'" <>, "'Andrew, David'" <>
Subject: bats
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:13:35 +1000
I would say that after dusk, it is hard to see small bats, apart from sites lit up by big lights. My bit is of very little relevance but I thought it interesting to contrast. When I was in China last year I was really surprised at the abundance of bats around the city streets at night (it was end of summer, so warm weather). I went for a stroll along the Yangtze bank at Wuhan and there were many, of at least three species (I assumed, based on size and flight style). This thought was capped off with one flitting above the waiting passengers (including me) inside the airport departure lounge at Wuhan. Although that may have been just unusual. This is compared to the general difficulty of finding birds in China.