canberrabirds

TRANSCRIPT 4

To: <>
Subject: TRANSCRIPT 4
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:42:36 +1000

WAYNE:  Right, now there’s a lot to report, including, I’m afraid, some near-disasters.  First you’d better take a look at this –

TREVOR:  Oh  great.  I see you’ve got the kangaroos in there Wayne.

WAYNE:  I’ll get to that, Trevor, but first I’ll give you the sad news on your emu.

the project J wip5.jpg

WAYNE:  Barry went along to a meeting and spoke to someone at the Canberra Ornithologists.  I think it might have been the president.  And when Barry mentioned the emu on the stamp, he said “Oh dear me, I don’t know about that.  I think the only ones around here escaped from Tidbinbilla or are the result of the emu-farming boom in the 70s”.  So Barry had to say  “Yes we know all about that but it’s so hard to get interesting local birds”, and this bloke said “Well, what about a nice hooded robin?”.  So that’s it, Trevor.  Your emu is gone, finished, out, and that’s why I had to go down and spend half a day in the photo library to find that hooded robin you can see there.  Trouble with this project is everyone you talk to has their own idea of what should be on the stamp.

FIONA:  Yes Wayne, it’s one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do.

WAYNE:  Now on top of that, at the Canberra Ornithologists Barry thought he’d show off our artwork and he produced our picture of the “Male and Female Fairy-wrens” and he’d just got as far as “Hey take a look at this nice pair of ..” when someone said “Oh, a couple of male fairy-wrens, one in non-breeding plumage”.  Well, you can imagine how Barry felt.  It looks like we’ve got to be extra careful here.  Now listen closely Fiona.  See that male fairy-wren on our stamp?  I want an absolutely dead-set female to go with him.  Now get out a photo of one from the library, and get down to the botanic gardens, and go up to one of those fairy-wren experts that are always wandering around there, and without saying you’re from the department just bring up the subject of fairy-wrens and how difficult is to tell them apart, and just say casually ‘look at this one for instance’ and get them to confirm that your picture is fair and square in the female category.  All right?

FIONA:  Yes, Wayne.  I can see how important this is.

WAYNE:  Now the next thing is the kangaroo fiasco.  Barry has pointed out, very astutely, that a kangaroo will just draw attention to the fact that our department is busy knocking them off all over the place, and people will laugh themselves silly if we put one on a stamp.  The Canberra Times might be OK but those people at the ABC are always trying to find something to stir people about up for their talkback programs.  Therefore we’re going to be way ahead of them and use – wait for it - Swamp Wallabys.  Very like kangaroos, but they have the distinction that unlike kangaroos nobody’s taken a major objection to them so far.  You’ll see I’ve included a few here, but we can always take a couple out later.

TREVOR:  Good Wayne.  With an expert eye you can certainly see they’re nothing like kangaroos.

WAYNE:  Now I’ve given Fiona an important job and here’s one for you Trevor.  We don’t want them starting a Swamp Wallaby cull just when our stamp comes out, so get down to the Culling Branch and tell them to hold off on any plans like that for, say, 18 months.  We’d better get it in writing, and come to think of it wombats too  -  and also that fruit bat I think we’ll use.  In fact, here’s the plan:  type out on a sheet with the departmental letterhead “There will definitely be no culling of Swamp Wallabys, Wombats or Fruit Bats before the end of 2011” and make sure they sign it.  Tell them if they don’t Barry will raise it at a divisional meeting.

 FIONA:  Just a minute Wayne.  Don’t you think that could sound awfully misleading if it got out?  To the ABC for example?

 WAYNE:  It won’t get out Fiona, and I’m not going to trust that Culling Branch unless I get it in writing.

TREVOR:  I agree Wayne.  I’ll get right onto it.

WAYNE:  Finally, I’ll just recap where we are on our overall design.  I reckon we’ve got the mammals squared away.  We’ve got our six birds, subject to an all-clear on the one with funny wings - although I’m not entirely happy with that duck which really only got in when the Fiona’s platypus was still a live option.  We’ll have two insects if Fiona can just get a breakthrough on the moth problem.  However, we’re really going to need to have a serious talk about the flowers.  Right?