canberrabirds

Finch Central this morning

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Finch Central this morning
From: "Roger Curnow" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:03:39 +1000
Hi Martin et al

I was down there (finch central and nearby) saturday (10th) morning.
In the finch line I saw upward of 30 redbrow, six diamond firetail, three double-barred and a Goldfinch. .
No robins, which is what i was looking for.
At least a dozen Welcome Swallow and the about the same number of Dusky Woodswallow.
Also sighted three Pipit,  several Yellow-rumped Thornbill and a couple of White-browed Scrubwren.

        roger curnow

I visited the area for about 90 minutes this morning.  For the firt hour I thought a renaming might be needed since "Finch-less central" was more acurate.  Then I found a few Red-browed finches (about4 flocks, totalling to about 15 birds.  Some of the birds were young with a very noticeable white gape.  As I was about to leave the area I also found 3 Diamond Firetails.  Theonly robin seen was a female Scarlet Robin, also towards the end of my visit.

Other interesting birds were two - OK a pair, as they were playing together- flying briefly in mirror image fomation as well as calling loudly to each other - Pergrine Falcons; and 3 Stubble Qualiin the area of bramble clumps above the fence.

No honeyeaters seen: I suspect the wind was a tad brisk for them.

Martin