canberrabirds

Mystery parrot [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "David Rosalky" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Mystery parrot [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:53:57 +1000
David, I fully concur.

I saw Moustached Parakeet (Psittacula alexandri) in Yogyakarta back in 1994 and was similarly bemused that that scientific name didn't apply to the Alexandrine Parrot when I saw them in Bombay a couple of weeks ago. And note that the "Moustached Parakeet" is also known (including in the current edition of the IOC list of birds) as the Red-breasted Parakeet - though surely the delicate pink hue of their breast cannot in anyone's definition be considered red!

Harvey

Harvey Perkins
CRC Selection Rounds Section

Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research