canberrabirds

Mystery parrot

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Mystery parrot
From: "Paul Fennell" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:31:52 +1000

This bird has been hanging about most of yesterday and this morning, calling – a bit like a shortened call of a Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo -  wheeaar! Wheeaar! Wheeaaar!

Sorry about the atrocious shot!  Auto focus on anything but the target.

I first thought it was an Eclectus, but you can see the tail is almost as long as the body.  Large reddish orange bill, Yellowish ring around the eye.  Light green body with darker green wings, with a reddish spot on each wing.  Tail is very long and whitish on the longest bit. Looks a little larger than a King Parrot. No ring around neck.

It was circling around the neighbourhood, and appears lost.  I suspect it might have escaped from an aviary on Mackinolty  Street.

What do we think?

mysteryparrot.jpg

Cheers

Paul