canberrabirds

Any experts on little-known Australian ducks

To: <>
Subject: Any experts on little-known Australian ducks
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:22:47 +1100

A book puzzle.  I have the 1924 facsimile of Augustus Baker Peirce’s ‘Knocking About’.  The American-born Peirce did indeed knock about Vic and NSW 1859-1892, including pioneering steam navigation on the Murray/Murrumbidgee/Darling.  I have scratched my head over a passage about the then wildlife.  Of ‘Snake Swamp’ (a billabong?) near the Murray between Swan Hill and Wentworth, he writes:  ‘The swamp seemed covered with legions of feathered creatures – thousands of ibex (sic), white cranes, native companions, piebald geese, and Cape Java blue duck ...’  The question is:  what was the ‘Cape Java blue duck’?  Apparently the Australian Wood Duck was sometimes known as Blue Duck.  However Peirce goes on:  ‘On the other side great quantities of gray wood duck covered the river.’   So it seems he knew what a wood duck was, unless that was some other species again, such as Grey Teal.  I wonder if a ‘blue duck’ could have been a swamphen, just as a ‘blue crane’ was a heron, and a ‘blue jay’ was a cuckoo-shrike.

Moreover, I am unable to find any reference to a ‘Cape Java’.  I would be interested in any thoughts.