canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Reedy to go (2)

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Reedy to go (2)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:10:58 +1100

I must, yet again, correct myself, this time re the below.  Of course ‘the Overflow’ must be by the Lachlan.  I was distracted by shallow surmising by webfillers who deal only in words that have been electronically recorded.

AB Paterson was born near Molong in 1864 and lived for 6 years at the family property near Obley (east of Peak Hill and Goobang NP), then lived until the age of 10 at ‘Illalong’, just up the road from here near Binalong.  (He returned there for holidays and his descriptions of the local bird life remain of interest.)  He was educated in Sydney, becoming a practising solicitor there in 1886, and published ‘Clancy of the Overflow’ – in The Bulletin -  in 1889.

He sends the letter TO Clancy ‘where I met him down the Lachlan years ago’, when Clancy was shearing, SO he addresses it just ‘on spec’ to ‘Clancy of the Overflow’.  The name so coined is the one AB later uses for Clancy in ‘The Man from Snowy River’ and the reference to ‘the Overflow’ must be read accordingly.  We do not know exactly what ‘the Overflow’ was but presumably it was in that (then) seasonally swampy part of the Lachlan between Forbes and its confluence with the Murrumbidgee.  Perhaps it was a property, perhaps a locality, perhaps both.  It might have been a distributary of the Lachlan, perhaps even Willandra Billabong itself, which is the major one.  That raises the interesting possibility that Clancy might have been shearing at Big Willandra with Black Jack from Gundagai.  Perhaps they were shearing mates, although the song suggests Black Jack might have managed a slightly more polished communication than ‘Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving and we don’t know where he are’.  Or perhaps he was Black from dipping his thumbnail in tar.