canberrabirds

Unusual Bird at Jerrabomberra

To: "COG-L" <>
Subject: Unusual Bird at Jerrabomberra
From: "Lindsay Hansch" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:01:44 +1100

While doing my GBS count this morning a very large grey bird flew low over me heading east to west.  Its wingspan was about 1.2m, it had a long neck which it carried fully extended, long legs trailing behind (well beyond its body/tail) and a long, straight bill.  It was uniform grey in colour and on the downward beat of its wings the tips turned upwards.  The only bird that I have seen which it resembled is a juvenile Brolga.  I say juvenile as I could not see any red.  It flew over me within 20m then westward paralleling Jerabomberra Creek.  It appeared to land in a paddock near the old Tralee Speedway, so I jumped in the car and raced around to try and get a better look but it was nowhere to be seen.  Anyone visiting Jerra Wetlands should perhaps keep an eye out for it.

Regards

Lindsay Hansch