canberrabirds

Wedge-tailed Eagle GBS comment last time I hope!

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle GBS comment last time I hope!
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:56:48 +1100
Oh, for what it is worth and apologies for being even more pedantic and not mentioning this in my earlier notes. The 21 Year GBS Report begins with the following text for the Wedge-tailed Eagle: "Certainly not a garden inhabitant" (similar text is retained through to Birds of Canberra Gardens). Also for the breeding record listed, the 21 Year GBS Report has: "The breeding record is a display, they breed in the region but not in gardens."

I could hardly make it easier than that! Therefore, I suggest / request that Mark (in considering the question and asking for rational discussion) would do well to consult the reference source first.

As to the bigger question, it simply comes down to what you are interested in. If you believe a swallow or Mistletoebird or an eagle is not a garden bird and you are not interested in the results for them, then for your own purposes just ignore the information provided for those species. And some may think mentioning Mistletoebird in that context is odd. I hear them every year flying over and almost never see them, they are so small and fly so high. These go on the GBS record. I think this year is the first I have had one perch in a tree in view from my house.

Philip

Good evening all,

For a long time I have been intrigued by what species are actually being classed as “garden” birds in the ACT. To me a garden bird is something that actually USES my garden, not something that has flown half a kilometre up and over the top. How many people have actually had Wedge-tailed Eagles land in their garden or within the prescribed area used for GBS recording? In the latest edition of “Birds of Canberra Gardens” there is even a breeding record listed that I find rather unbelievable. There are numerous species recorded in the book that I cannot accept as garden birds – several other species of raptors, both swift species unless they have actually landed in a tree (which at least some do at night to roost), grebes, pelicans, spoonbills, snipe etc, etc.

I am not trying to start an argument with this; I’m just trying to work out what is a “genuine” garden bird and what is not.

Rational discussion welcomed!

Mark