canberrabirds

Pied Currawong Markings

To: Bruce Ramsay <>
Subject: Pied Currawong Markings
From: Tun Pin ONG <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:06:51 +1100
Hi Bruce and all,

I went to the same patch in Cook on Monday where I earlier
photographed the 'uniform-rumped' Currawong. Did not see any Pied
Currawong with such feature. But I saw one with 'dotted line' of white
spots along base of tail. Another one with 2 white patches of white at
the sides of the base of tail. At least 2 others with typical white
crescent at base of tail. If it is both Frank and Bruce's suggestion
that this is some transitional plumage for subadult, then perhaps one
of them was the bird that I saw earlier but it has now
grown abit of white on its base of tail.

I have seen a photo of Dark form Grey Currawong from Handbooks of
Birds of the World (out of range from Canberra), where this dark form
does look very similar to the typical Pied Currawong, and the bill of
this dark form of GC is slightly thicker, hence make it even closer to
PC.

Hope this generates some interests in otherwise very common and dull
looking backyard bird. If the feature of 'uniform-rumped' in Pied
Currawong has been documented anywhere, please let me know. Thank you.

Regards,
Tun Pin ONG