canberrabirds

Spotted Doves

To: <>, "chat line" <>
Subject: Spotted Doves
From: "Bruce Lindenmayer" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:18:34 +1100
I am delighted to see so much recent interest in Spotted Doves (aka Spotted Turtle Doves) on the COG hot line.

Last year (2009), I sought help from Birds Australia, as I had a recollection that a past "Wingspan" had reported them as serious pests in Alice Springs.

BA sent me some information, including a Fact Sheet from the NT Govt Dept of Natural Resources etc which in summary said:

"Feral Spotted Turtle Doves first became established in Alice Springs in the early 1990s when approximately 10 birds were liberated from a backyard aviary. Since that time, the population has steadily grown and today [I'd guess 2007 or 2008] numbers are thought to exceed 8000 birds. The Spotted Turtle Dove impacts on the environment and residents of the town in a number of ways".

The Fact Sheet then lists impacts as their ability to breed all year round, being very adaptable to the urban environment, omnivorous, agressive to other species, a nuisance around aviaries, fowl yards and pet feeding areas, fouling areas with their droppings and disruptive with their constant cooing.

The Fact Sheet provided information on identification, guidelines to discouraging them in backyards and very basic instructions for making a "passive trap" which is a broadly similar to the trapping chamber of the Pee-Gee trap which CIMAG members use for Indian Mynas.

I provided BA's information to Chris Davey & Martin Butterfield and suggested that COG Committee might like to consider the issue and what might be done about Spotted Doves. Chris and I discussed the idea of having an intensive study over (say) a year.

I agree with other chat line contributors, that we should be concerned about perceived increases in populations and reports of possible breeding. Now is the time to act

I have also spoken to myna expert Chris Tidemann who thought they would probably be easier to trap than mynas.

Grateful any further views.

Bruce