canberrabirds

Fw: Tree in Corroboree Park - response from TAMS

To: "'Ian Fraser'" <>
Subject: Fw: Tree in Corroboree Park - response from TAMS
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:16:24 +1100

It may surprise even Ian that I have known the person to whom he refers from my primary and high school days from the late 50’s, early 60’s. I too have the utmost respect for him as a botanist and general natural historian. He was also one of the people who replied to me concerning my recent campaign to try and clean up the rude and arrogant remakes from some people on the chatline, stating that ”he was appalled by some of the comments sent to the chatline”. His email was forwarded to the COG Committee. But I digress.

One thing however that has annoyed me with this debate on removing trees is the comment from some government official - as reported in the Canberra Times and on TV news bulletins several weeks ago – is that many of the trees had reached 80 years of age. There are numerous studies published in the 1970’s, at the height of the woodchip debate, that show it takes Eucalypt trees a MINIMUM of 80 – 120 years to develop hollows suitable for larger wildlife to use. Dropping branches is one way that this process begins as it allows organisms into the tree. I should add that if a tree is dead and in an area frequently used by the public, then I have no qualms with its removal. I would however like to see it replaced with something suitable.

Why 80 years old is the criteria for removing trees is beyond me. When I was growing up in O’Connor in the late 1960’s there were many mature trees, mostly Yellow Box, Eucalyptus melliodora and Blakeley’s Red Gum, Eucalyptus blakeleyi that were growing near my parent’s house many of which are still there today. All had extensive hollows. Very occasionally they would drop a branch. I would suggest that these trees are now well over 150+ years old and appear to still be in good health. There is also a Blakeley’s Red Gum in a neighbour’s yard near my house in Kaleen that is probably well over 150+ years old. It has been checked for termites and none were found. A few smaller dead branches were recently removed and no rot was found. 80 years indeed!

I may be wrong here but I feel that the selection of species for planting in parks and as street trees in the past has been wrong. In many areas Eucalyptus mannifera, the Brittle Gum, has been the overwhelming choice, probably because it is a “pretty” tree because of its nice smooth, white bark, and is quite quick growing relative to other species. However it is not the greatest bird attracting tree. As much of Canberra is built on the supposedly more fertile lowlands and we have reserved the poorer hills, perhaps we should be planting species that occur on these lowlands, such as the Yellow Box and Blakeley’s Red Gum. If we are to use other non-regional species perhaps we should try the Mugga Ironbark, Eucalyptus sideroxylon. Bird species such as the Swift and Superb Parrots and the Regent Honeyeater would benefit enormously from these tree species. Ian’s comment on the Corroboree Park Manna Gum is quite right; it is growing in the wrong place. The other classic examples of trees in the wrong environment are the various Blue Gums species planted around the local area, e.g. Anzac Parade. They do not like a dry environment.

I am sure this argument can and will go on for some time yet. This is just my two bob’s worth (20 cents if you are not a baby boomer!).

As for Ian’s comment that he may lose friends over his stand, well all I can say is they are a bloody idiot if they do ignore him (oh dear, there I go again calling people idiots….. tut, tut.

Mark