canberrabirds

PS

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: PS
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:56:29 +1100
Sorry, shouldn't do this while doing other things (cooking for imminent guests). My failure to comment on the Gang-gangs and the timing there was inadvertant. I know nothing about the process that led to the lopping occurring while the chicks were still in the nest, which certainly seems most unfortunate. My comments were more on the general situation.

back to the kitchen....

IF

Ian Fraser wrote:
For what it's worth, one of the leading independent experts advising on the process is someone I know very well indeed, and have worked with for a couple of decades. He is not only an unchallenged expert on tree health, but has done more for conservation at a practical 'on ground' level than most of us could ever claim to have done, including fighting to save numerous remnant woodland trees in Canberra and beyond. It was he who alerted the Commissioner and TAMS to the presence of the hobbies' nest and the need for a delay.

Nonetheless the entire inside of the tree was rotted out - which of course makes for great nesting hollows!

While any tree loss is regrettable, let's keep this one in perspective. It is a planted tree, not native to the immediate area (locally it is indigenous to the streamlines and sheltered gullies of the Brindabellas and Tidbinbillas). With respect we might be doing more for conservation if we were to focus more on the many pre-European trees under threat in suburbia both current and planned.

I trust this doesn't lose me any friends, or cause anyone to mistake me for someone who doesn't care passionately (and actively) about trees, birds and biodiversity in general.

Have a relaxing and birdsome end of 2009 and entry to 2010 all!

cheers

Ian

Wendy Whitham wrote:
I emailed TAMS this morning to express concern about the tree pruning.  I asked whether expert advice had been sought in relation to the nesting birds and also what qualifications the various "experts" had.

Here's the response I received for what it's worth.

Wendy