canberrabirds

Fwd: FW: [canberrabirds] Figbird

Subject: Fwd: FW: [canberrabirds] Figbird
From: Marion Jones <>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:59:16 +0800

I am confused!  I think I saw a figbird this morning behind Deakin - corner of Old Quarry Track and Deakin Fire Trail (more or less straight up from the pedestrian lights on Kent St.
Certainly there were orioles in the area but I got a pretty good look at this bird and it looked different.  Striations were softer indicating a juvenile (I thought) but it was quite definitely green-coloured and with a fairly definite dark strip on the bottom edge of the wings (while sitting) but narrower than the oriole.  Unfortunately didn't have my camera or my birdbook and didn't take enough notice of the eye area - definitely no trace of pink/red in the bill though, nor was it making oriole noises.

Marion

2009/12/8 martin butterfield <>

Geoffrey

Excellent comments and very helpful - especially those referring to jizz in flight.

>From my view, knowing what I was looking for and with Mark Allen to provide valued assistance, the key thought was "that is a very dark looking oriole".  Then the binoculars came into play with, as you say eye patch and bill shape being definitive.  WRT to bill shape, Allen pere had commented about 2 minutes earlier to the effect that the birds bill was more like that of a bowerbird, which I found helpful.  He also said that the call prompted him to investigate further - and the bird had been silent for the first several days.

I trust the commentary in this forum, and your photographs, are of assistance to the Rarities panel.

Martin