canberrabirds

Fw: EPBC Act Policy Statement for Migratory Shorebirds

To: "COG bird discussions" <>, "Google Groups" <>
Subject: Fw: EPBC Act Policy Statement for Migratory Shorebirds
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:29:16 +1100
I have received this notice from "Birdpedia".

Just as well somebody is watching what the DEWHA is up to.

This "Policy Statement" review will impact upon most major wetland sites in Australia, but particularly Ramsar Sites, notably the Coorong, and Lower Lakes, other wetlands in the MDB, and the Victorian coastline, especially Gippsland, and the Great Sandy Straits area, within the Mary River estuary, south of Fraser Island.

Please feel free to send this on to other persons who might be interested to comment.

Dear Shorebirds 2020 volunteers & friends,

The Commonwealth Government has been developing an EPBC Act Policy Statement for Migratory Shorebirds, to provide guidance in relation to actions that may impact migratory shorebird populations in Australia. An important element of this policy statement is the adoption of criteria to identify nationally important sites for migratory shorebirds in addition to internationally important sites, to increase the amount of habitat protected for shorebirds nationally (see pages 9-10 of the draft policy statement).

I would encourage you to take a look and make comments if required.

See the following Birdpedia Notice for full details.

     >> http://www.birdpedia.com/au/bi.dll/bipu01?m=550&id960=9756653697_0001&id509=ALL

Regards,

Jo Oldland & Rob Clemens.

DJW note:

I found the links suggested by Birdpedia (within their article) did not take me where I needed to go.
This one will:

I would point out that not all "Migratory Shorebirds" are restricted to Australia's ocean shores.
This is acknowledged in regard to the Latham's Snipe (only) in the relevant papers.

Public comments are now being sought from interested parties on the draft policy statement, particularly in relation to its usability and suggestions for improvement. We would also be interested in any new research or information on these 36 migratory shorebird species to contribute to future policy revisions.

Comments will be accepted until COB Monday 14 December 2009.

At the end of this comment period the policy will be finalised, taking into consideration any comments received. The policy will be updated as substantial new information becomes available.

Comments should be sent to:

Email:

Mail: Species Information Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601

Fax: 02 6274 2875