canberrabirds

A Pinnacle of the birding year!

To: COG List <>
Subject: A Pinnacle of the birding year!
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:09:35 +1100
We had a magnificent visit to the Pinnacle today.  The following may be suitable for the Gang-gang report

"8 members and guests met at the Pinnacle for a walk led by John Brannan (thanks to him for leadership and Barbara Allen for the early morning scouting).  We focussed on the woodland area and the many nest-sites known by John in the area.  As well as nests recently vacated (notably the two Tawny Frogmouth nests) we observed breedng activity by 12 species: Striated Pardalote (NB) Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike (DY) Australian magpie (DY); Magpie-lark (NB); Crimson Rosella (NY) Willie Wagtail (ON) Common Starling (NY) White-winged Triller (ON) Welcome Swallow (DY) House Sparrow (CF) Varied Sitella (ON) and White-winged Chough (ON).

"Other less common birds included
  • Superb Parrots - at least 4 birds flying from the direction of the Molonglo Valley towards Hawker;
  • Southern Whiteface  -at least 2 birds near the step-through gate;
  • Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo - 2 birds, one immature, one adult travelling together.  Research will be undertaken into what that means.
  • Rainbow Lorikeet  - at least 2 birds seen.
  • Fuscous Honeyeater - at least 2 birds seen feeding in canopy.
"In total we recorded an excellent 44 species."

There will be no mid-week walk in December as it's too close to Christmas.  For January activities will be to some extent driven by the weather (too hot or a fire-ban and there will not be a formal walk) but a possibility is a full day trip to the Tinderries.  An announcement will be made through the chatline closer to the date.

Martin