canberrabirds

whipbird at Molonglo Gorge

To: "'martin butterfield'" <>, "'Ian Fraser'" <>
Subject: whipbird at Molonglo Gorge
From: "Paul Fennell" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:12:08 +1100

Nothing in the database from that area

Cheers

Paul

Paul Fennell

COG Database Manager

6254 1804

0407105460

From: martin butterfield [
Sent: Monday, 16 November 2009 12:08 PM
To: Ian Fraser
Cc: Cog line
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] whipbird at Molonglo Gorge

The ACT Atlas certainly reinforces the absence of the birds from that area.

One of the longer term residents of the Carwoola area commented to me recently about the spread of dense Kunzea ericoides around the Carwoola/Hoskinstown area in the last 20 years or so.  This is somewhat similar habitat to where I have heard whipbirds in the Murrumbidgee Valley.   Could that have allowed some birds to spread across from Tallanganda and into the Molonglo Valley?  They'd have some sparsely vegetated areas to cover, but not too far.

Martin