canberrabirds

And lastly, a serious question.

To: "David Rosalky" <>, <>
Subject: And lastly, a serious question.
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:44:58 +1100
David

I have had the same experience with Yellow-rumped Thornbills at my mother-in laws place.  There is a nest on the lowest branch of a large conifer and approaching it brings two birds from (I think) higher up in the tree to "defend" the nest - distance is arm's length, wings fluttering, and the tinkling voices, exactly as you say.  The only difference is that their activity is very much centred around the nest itself.  There is also an older nest about 2 metres away where we observed similar behaviour about 5 - 6 weeks ago, and found a dead chick on the ground underneath it.  Not sure what happened to cause that, nor if it's the same pair having a second try.

Cheers

Rod