canberrabirds

interim blitz results

To: con <>
Subject: interim blitz results
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:24:39 +1100
Con

Many thanks for the directions. I saw all three birds at about 11:30 this morning.  It was made easy by them calling which focussed my attention of the correct bit of the paddock.  Unusually for this genus, although I was only about 150m away, they didn't attack me.

A couple of comments about getting to the site:
  • It is far closer to use the entrance off Horse Park Drive (HPD).  However this involves crossing a deep'n'steep drain which could pose risks to the underside of a conventional vehicle: my Forester made it OK but did ding the exhaust pipe on the way out.  It might be possible to park between HPD and the drain.
  • If entering from this point just follow the boundary fence (include entering the predator free area) until you are past the dam and come to a fence in the paddocks running perpendicular to the ppf.  Then scan the area between the old house site (elm trees stand out) and a large heap of dirt  about 300m away.  The grass is reasonably high but the lapwings poked out of the top of it on occasion.
Martin