canberrabirds

Deua Wilderness & Badja SF - Tuesday 2 November [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Deua Wilderness & Badja SF - Tuesday 2 November [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:27:04 +1100

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi all,

Benj Whitworth and I spent Tuesday exploring the remote southeast corner of the COG Area of Interest (AOI) and beyond.

We left Canberra at around 10am and drove to Pikes Saddle (Grid V30) via Captains Flat, Pointers Gap, Krawarree & Snowball, where we passed a White-necked Heron beside the road.

Although it is possible to drive along the Badja Fire Trail we preferred to park at the saddle and hike to Big Badja.

Highlights along the Badja fire trail included a Red-bellied Black Snake, a Highlands Copperhead, Blotched Blue-tongues, plus water skinks and garden skinks. Also a huge Emperor Gum Moth which had just emerged, Eucalypt Chafer (iridescent green beetle), a Jumping Jack (jumping ants) nest and many species of butterfly including Painted Lady and Brown. On reaching the summit of Badja Trig at 1363 m we flushed a single Painted Button-quail from among the dense scrub and heath. From the exquisite bright colouring it was probably a female. Unfortunately looking at the Google Earth COG grid KML file the summit lies just outside the COG AOI.

Admiring the 360 views from the windy summit we were joined by a Peregrine Falcon and later on a Wedge-tailed Eagle. Around us in the scrub were Eastern Spinebills in the flowering heath which included Grevillea and Superb Lyrebirds further down.

We then continued further along the trail to a spot overlooking Woila Creek and east to the ramparts of Tabletop and Mother Woila in the heart of the Deua Wilderness.

After retracing our steps to the car as it started to drizzle we drove south out of the COG AOI and headed for Badja State Forest. On the way we spotted New Holland Honeyeater, Red-browed Finches and Eastern Yellow Robin at the bridge over the Badja River and had two male White-winged Trillers and a massive Echidna near Countegany.

There is a record of Variegated Fairy-wren from Badja SF from the 90s, which was one of the reasons we decided to visit. Despite some searching we didn’t record this pseices. Since my last visit several years ago Badja SF has been logged to ruin. We drove along Badja Forest Rd and then onto Peters Rd before the track became impassable. We were able to stop at some remnant wet forest gullies and recorded Pilotbird, Eastern Whipbird, Lewin’s Honeyeater, Eastern Yellow Robin and a Wonga Pigeon. The number of Crescent Honeyeaters present was amazing, every few hundred metres we could hear one.

All up a pretty good day.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen | Assistant Director

IT Solutions | Information Technology

Australian Electoral Commission

T: 02 6271 4465 | F: 02 6271 4644

Australian Electoral Commission25 years serving the Australian community

UNCLASSIFIED

DISCLAIMER:

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on (02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies. If this email or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the email or attachments.