canberrabirds

Blue Faced Honeyeaters at Cowra

Subject: Blue Faced Honeyeaters at Cowra
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 21:15:28 +1100
Howdy All,

At the risk of upsetting those who will feel this is off topic for our area, or that these birds are common...... while on a bus trip on Saturday we stopped in Cowra at the park/rose garden/Maccers and there were some rather noisy birds up in the trees. I thought they were probably just Noisy Mynahs but they didn't look right (I kept seeing blue!). I watched one wander around for a while, trying to see if I could get a photograph of them. The individual in question liked sitting right up high in things and I just have a pocket style camera. I finally followed it across the park and ended up discovering a couple of youngsters in one of the trees, and at least 3 adults feeding them. I had no idea what they were, but managed to get a couple of photos of them, all carefully keeping an eye on me way down below them as you can see. I came back home and worked out that they were Blue Faced Honeyeaters, something I had never even heard of before, let alone seen. I thought that other beginners like myself might enjoy seeing one of them..... the blue is very vivid and can be seen from quite a distance.

Apologies if this bird is common as much out there, but it was new to me. While I don't think our area of interest stretches out as far as Cowra, I still hope that no-one minds me commenting on my introduction to them, and for taking up your email boxes with a picture (carefully shrunk down to well under 100K so it shouldn't be a problem). I also have a pic of the pair of dependent young if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT