canberrabirds

It's not easy being ...

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: It's not easy being ...
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:20:36 +1100
Sometimes these other bird attacks are with contact and other times they are all bluff. Two weeks ago I came home and on my arrival noticed a big fuss from Australian Magpies (who I know have young at fledging stage) and Pied Currawongs (who usually nest nearby but I have not yet noticed it this year). Several of both were dive bombing something high in one of the trees in my local park. On approaching the tree I noticed one very handsome looking adult female Brown Goshawk. Although it was within the canopy foliage, the harassment by the other birds, as vigorous, noisy and bold as it looked, never came closer than about 30 cm from the perched Goshawk.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041