canberrabirds

Ginninderra Creek near Dunlop

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Ginninderra Creek near Dunlop
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
This morning I went to see if I could find the Black Honeyeater reported near
the old sewerage works at Dunlop.  No luck with the Honeyeater, in fact the
only honeyeaters I saw were a couple of passing Red Wattlebirds.  However, I
was really excited to spend some time observing the large numbers of Fairy
Martins hunting insects near their nests in the eroded banks of the creek.  It
was like watching something first hand that you normally only see in
documentaries.  I also managed some nice pictures of a Diamond Firetail and a
Black Fronted Dotterel.

Again, lots of Rufous Songlarks around, as well as some Dusky Woodswallows.

The dew was extremely heavy, and I gather that the area must have had a dump of
rain yesterday or overnight, because there was a lot of water in the creek.

There's a lot of Paterson's Curse all along the creek line, so if that's what
the Black Honeyeater is feeding in, he could be anywhere!

Firetail and Fairy Martin pictures attached.  If only I or the sun had been on
the other side of the finch!

Rob
=======
Rob Geraghty