canberrabirds

Blitzes and pallid cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: Blitzes and pallid cuckoos
From: "Stephen Mugford" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:16:30 +1100

Like many others, I enjoyed ‘blitzing’ on Saturday. With limited time, I could only really do one site so I did my usual circumnavigation of Yerrabi Pond.

This yielded a respectable 34 sp, with a few that are not so common in the area like Rufous Song Lark and WW Trillers (several). On the other hand, it is also interesting (to me) what I DIDN’T see (akin to Sherlock Holmes argument about the dog that didn’t bark.) Thinking of the usual suspects I would have expected:

·         Intermediate egret

·         Great Cormorant (2 there on 28th for example)

·         WF Heron

·         More PB Duck (though their numbers are down overall)

·         Crimson Rosellas

·         More Welcome Swallows, Magpie Larks, Magpies, Ravens, S-C Cockatoos, W-P honey eaters and Red wattle Birds than recorded

·         Noisy Friarbirds

Hmm.  What did others “not see?”

Meanwhile, today I walked (but also took small glasses in case) along the same route.

Having confidently mentioned recently to Geoffrey Dabb that it’s ages since I heard a Pallid Cuckoo round here (they were common in the late 90s when Ngunnawal/Amaroo were being started) blow me down if I didn’t hear two today.  One was in the golf course near the dam and I heard it both as I left the house at 7 and returned at 8. The other was near Horse Park Drive at the N end of the pond.

Most of the suspects that hid on Saturday (see above) were back and I swear were smirking at me, as well as a lone Aus White Ibis paddling near the dam...

Of some interest, two of the young Musk Duck (coot sized) were feeding without adult supervision while only the small one (grebe sized) from a different clutch was being tended to by its mother.

Stephen

Dr Stephen Mugford

Managing Director

QQSR

Box 12,

Gungahlin, ACT 2912

Ph:       +61 2 6242 1008   [02 6242 1008]

Mob:    + 61 411 466640   [0411 466640]