canberrabirds

Gee Mum its hot up here

To: <>
Subject: Gee Mum its hot up here
From: "John Cummings" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:40:19 +1000

G’day

Barbara and I are not dead or worse but very much alive.  We have not been able to access our home computer for some time and I have changed jobs.  Because of the economic climate and us both having jobs here we decided to stay for a while longer.  Bought a house on Katherine so there is room for guests.  To all of our friends we have not forgotten you it is just our electronic communication failed.

Went to the USA for a while back in August and saw lots of good things including Sandhill Cranes.

Lots has been happening here with the change in seasons as elsewhere.

Am presently in Kalkaringi (of from little things big things grow fame) for the week and have tallied 47 species today.  Got my last of the finch type birds for up here today on the way out, the Pictorella Mannikin so I was excited about that..There are Dollar Birds here but no Koels etc.  Have not heard or seen a Channel-billed Cuckoo up here yet.

Two weeks ago I spent some days in Lajamanu at the top end of the Tanami Desert.  I always try and have look at the sewerage area there.  This time there were Australian Pratincoles which are the first I have seen up here this year.  There were also around 13 Oriental Plovers.  There were some that flew in and landed while I was there.  So this added to the total number.  Given that I have only seen  three of these together before, I was excited.

On the way home I came across three Whistling Kites and two Black-breasted Buzzards at a road kill.  This is interesting because it is the first time a have seen more than one Black-breasted Buzzard in the same area and certainly the first time I have seen them at a road kill.  Got great views of them too.  Usually only see them soaring with their upswept wings and wobbly flight.

Some dates

27-9-09 first Sacred Kingfisher seen for the season.  It was another two weeks before I heard one call.

20-9-09 first Dollar Bird seen.  13-9-09 first Koel heard.  23-8-09 first Pallid Cuckoo heard.

8-9-09 Two Black Bitterns observed hunting in the Victoria River from the bridge at Kalkaringi.

I have also discovered a spot where I can reliably see Purple-crowned Fairy-wrens on the Victoria River upstream from Kalkaringi.  Just me, the wrens, and 50 billion flies.

The Rainbow Bee-eaters e back in their hundreds, most of the White-winged Trillers have gone.  It was amazing to watch them moult into their breeding plumage.  The Great Bowerbirds are busy courting.  The is one in the yard here who has a collection of white and green objects on the ground but no bower.  See lots of these birds but have yet to see a bower up here.  Any way this one certainly has plenty of inquisitive female visitors and the occasion spate with what I presume is a rival who wants to take some of the objects in the collection.

The Little Friarbirds seem to have finished breeding as I no longer see the young ones with the yellow on the chest and the front of the folded primaries.

The Pied Imperial-Pigeons are all courting and carrying on in the trees as are the other dove species.

Any way I am sure you are all enjoying the spring arrivals in Canberra.  I am glad to see that your maximum is finally creeping up towards our minimum.

For those who think we have forgotten you it is not true.  Please send us an email at this address so we can get back in touch.

Cheers from the north.

John Cummings

ITEC Employment

Katherine NT