canberrabirds

Silvereye races

To: <>
Subject: Silvereye races
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:50:27 +1100

Oh dear, Tobias, a photograph (shudder).  In my experience colours are so difficult and for photos to be any use on fine points about colour, any editing at all, even light sharpening should be avoided as this definitely changes colour slightly.  If you were comparing 2 subjects they would have to be shot in identical light including angle etc  Then there are different monitor settings between yours and the next persons etc  See below why this might be important.

However, not being any kind of expert on this (although having puzzled over it before) I shall just cite a couple of authorities on the adults only, both based, I assume, on painstaking examination of specimens –

THE DIRECTORY:  lateralis – “throat pale grey, tinged variably pale citrine yellow; breast clear mid grey, grading extensively deep russet-cinnamon over flanks ...”  :  westernensis – throat light citrine-yellow, the tone often restricted to upper throat; breast clear mid-grey, grading pale to mid dull russet brown over flanks ...”

HANZAB mentions varying factors such as age, state of moult, where collected etc:  lateralis – “Chin and throat whitish grey or greyish white in centre, grading to pale yellow-olive or yellow at sides; some birds have a faint yellow-olive wash on centre of chin and throat. ... Flanks and sides of belly, light brown or warm brown, fairly sharply demarcated from belly ... slight differences between males and females in colour of flanks”.   Westernensis – “ ... chin and throat yellow-olive or yellow, usually grading slightly paler ... on centre of chin and throat;  in a few birds, yellow-olive does not extend to centre of chin and throat, these resembling most richly pigmented nominate [[[ie lateralis]]]”  “UNDERPARTS:  As nominate, but flanks paler cinnamon brown or light brown in both sexes, fairly diffusely demarcated from duller off-white belly and vent;  some birds have a faint pale yellow tinge to belly and vent ...”  [[[Colour-guide citations omitted ]]]