canberrabirds

Ospreys and others

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Ospreys and others
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:23:19 +1100
Hi!

This morning I met up with a workman who was working on the telecom tower where the Ospreys nest is and he said that there was 2 eggs in the nest.  Which is great news, but what did concern me was the time he and his mate spent at the top platform where the nest is. They were there when I got there and after I left from Cupitts Winery / Wilford Lane wetlands, so it would be at least a minimum of 2 hrs the birds were off the nest which gives some concern.  I don't know if there's a procedure that is used when working in these circumstances or if it's even followed but besides that , great news  eh!.      Why we were at Cupitts wetland was that yesterday we seen a small tern in the loose company of some Whiskered Terns. At first we thought it was a Gull Billed T but it was too small and too far away.  Had good views today and we now are 99% sure its a non breeding White -Winged Tern.

Bob Rusk