canberrabirds

New and inexperienced birdwatchers

Subject: New and inexperienced birdwatchers
From: con <>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:43:49 +1100
Like Mark I would encourage new starters to use the chatline to help
learn about birds but also to contribute - I am often surprised at what
newcomers will spot with fresh eyes that old hands might be missing
because of habituation.

We have all had our moments of dark ornithological shame. I won't
mention names, but in our family we still enjoy a chuckle about
'sea-crows' (Red-tailed Black Cockatoos flying along the beach and,
well, it was very stormy weather) and then there were the newly-shorn
'sheep' scattered around a hillside on the far side of the valley, how
clean they looked! These turned out to be Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. Not
to worry, part of the fun.

Some of the postings on this chatline indicate to me that 'rudeness
perps' are likely to be entirely un-self-aware. They simply do not
understand the emotional impact that they might be having. In terms of
'facts' they might be 'right'. But in terms of impact they are 'wrong'.
Because the communications are digital, they are not getting visual cues
that might let them know that they are causing hurt. They might even
feel that they are being helpful. They might think that Mark's posts are
about somebody else, or that it is Mark who does not get it.

It seems to me that these folk need verbal feedback. This should be done
through the chat line co-ordinator. Most blogs have rules, as does ours.
Most of them have provision for repeat offenders to be excluded from
making a posting, generally after several warnings.

Anyway, am off to see if I can find some more Painted Button Quail
saucers (or 'platelets' or 'depressions') on Black Moutain.

Con

Mark Clayton wrote:

Good morning all,

Judging from the numerous replies I have received to my email
yesterday concerning rude and arrogant replies to beginners queries to
aspects of birding on the chatline, it appears I have hit on a very
important topic. Most people replied that they were afraid to put
anything on the chatline for fear of ridicule and */_every_/* email
supported what I was saying. Remember, we all had to start somewhere,
and no doubt we all made mistakes with identifications; I know I did
and way back then there were not too many people around to help me. In
this technological age it is all too easy for someone to sound like an
expert when they are not. All I am asking is that people engage their
brain before answering queries. It isn’t that hard is it?

As for those of you who a concerned about asking questions, there ARE
people in COG who can give you a courteous answer so don’t be put off
by the idiots. You will soon learn who to trust and who to ignore. You
can always do what many members have done – put a filter on the names
of those “experts” who annoy you. If you can’t get satisfaction from
the chat line or feel intimidated, I am always available to help out
as are most of the members of “my” bird banding crew – Anthony,
Harvey, Richard, Stuart etc or other members like Steve Holliday. I
won’t guarantee we can answer everything but at least you will be
treated courteously.

If you do feel sufficiently upset by someone’s manner on the list you
can always complain to the chat line co-ordinator, David McDonald.

Mark

PS rather than sending any replies directly to me, I suggest that a
reply to the chatline will highlight people’s concerns in this matter.
Thanks.