canberrabirds

Newbie bird call ID

To: "'David Nicholls'" <>
Subject: Newbie bird call ID
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:20:39 +1100
I am mostly ready to assist people with these questions as are others.
But at the risk of seeming uninspired, I suggest additional
contemplation before asking, as to whether these questions are
answerable on the information given. Maybe trying to imitate the sound
to people at the COG meeting is a better option than trying to type it
I would suggest that a look at the bird would help. A description of a
call could lead to a whole range of things and most importantly,
regardless of the responses we may give, it is still hard to prove
whether the suggestions are correct until the person asking, sees it for
themself - thus solving the problem. Learning from asking is great and
may be quick but learning from following through yourself can be more
satisfying.

For what little it is worth, I'd support Anthony Overs on White-throated
Gerygone also Harvey on Grey Fantail and also throw in Silvereye as a
candidate. I am surprised though at the suggestion of Brown-headed
Honeyeater as they are mostly in mobile flocks and their call is a dull
sound. Either way the question has not advanced a great deal..........

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041