canberrabirds

Speaking of peacocks

To: "'Rob Geraghty'" <>
Subject: Speaking of peacocks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:05:00 +1100
Hi Rob,

Mainly I should explain that convergent evolution is a term used to
describe where things have evolved from something very different,
towards something similar, due to some similar factor of their
lifestyle. Yes, the thylacine shows similarity in its head structure to
a wolf or fox and this is a good example of convergent evolution but
there needs to be a link to make the concept sensible. The link being
the predatory lifestyle in a terrestrial mammal. As such, convergent
evolution is just a phrase used by us to describe a situation. It is not
a thing that someone can with certainty say where the defining line is
as to what does or does not qualify. That a leg of a insect and of a
vertebrate have the same function and the wing of an insect and a wing
of a bird may show similarities of shape due to use in aerodynamics is
also convergent evolution, if you wish to extend the term to a use so
broad it becomes almost silly to call it that. Doing so can make the
term so vague it is not useful.

However there is hardly any similarity between lyrebirds and peacocks,
upon which to hang any kind of link. The peacock (like most chickens,
oops, pheasants) is primarily a seed eater, the lyrebird is a predator
of leaf litter living invertebrates. There are all kinds of other
approaches to polygamous behaviour and yes they usually involve strong
sexual dimorphism. Of these two, one uses its tail in sexual display and
the other does not (but pretends to). That is the biggest similarity.

About their size, the peacock is a big pheasant and the lyrebird is a
big passerine but the two species are nowhere near similar in size.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041