canberrabirds

Mt Budawang - 10 Oct 09 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "" <>
Subject: Mt Budawang - 10 Oct 09 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:37:10 +1100

UNCLASSIFIED

Hello everyone,

I thought I would report some sightings from a walk I did on Saturday with my brother and a friend.

The walk up Mount Budawang, in Budawang NP east of Braidwood, is some 6 km one way from the intersection of Budawang Rd. It rises from approx. 700 m to 1138 m asl.

I had done the walk for the first time on 18 Sep 05 and got some nice birds then as now.

The highlights are listed here:

·         The start of the walk meanders through farm paddocks surrounded by remnant tall forest. 1 White-necked Heron spotted here on a farm dam.

·         Then we entered moist eucalypt forest with an open understorey of banksia (not flowering) and Lomatia. Seen here were a Rufous Fantail and a female Flame Robin, as well as an Echidna.

·         After passing the national park gate we entered a patch of ferny temperate rainforest beside Feagans Ck. Seen here were a family party of Crested Shrike-tits, resident Brown Gerygones, a pair of Large-billed Scrubwrens, several Crescent Honeyeaters calling, Eastern Yellow Robins and Eastern Whipbirds.

·         The track now climbs steadily through damp eucalypt (Silvertop ash) forest with a dense, diverse understorey where we saw 2 Bassian Thrushes on the track, Gang-gang Cockatoos above and both Fan-tailed Cuckoo and Shining Bronze-cuckoos calling, as well as Brown-headed Honeyeaters. A male Scarlet Robin was seen and a Grey Currawong. Many pea species in flower.

·         A further stretch of track is lined with tree ferns under a canopy of eucalypts. Christmas bells and a carpet of ferns everywhere. Here we coaxed out from cover a couple of Olive Whistlers. Several Pilotbirds calling close by.

·         The track flattens on a saddle covered in tea-tree scrub and heathy shrubs. Again at least 2 Pilotbirds calling from cover.

·         The final climb to the summit and fire tower goes through heath, including another banksia species (serrata?), allocasuarina nana and many other heaths. Here it was dead quiet mostly apart from some Brown Thornbills and 2 New Holland Honeyeaters. A bit later a pair of Olive Whistlers passed through while another Pilotbird could be heard nearby.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen | Assistant Director

IT Solutions | Information Technology

Australian Electoral Commission

T: 02 6271 4465 | F: 02 6271 4644

Australian Electoral Commission25 years serving the Australian community

UNCLASSIFIED

DISCLAIMER:

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on (02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies. If this email or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the email or attachments.