canberrabirds

perth and sw

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: perth and sw
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:34:07 +1100

We have recently returned from a holiday in Perth and SW W.A. I am always surprised at how few birds we find in places where we think that there should be many. King's Park has absolutely wonderful wild flowers, in the bush, 3 sorts of donkey orchids, at least 2 sorts of spider orchids as well as kangaroo paws and flowering shrubs; and in the cultivated wild flower gardens there are many wonderful flowers. But there are very few birds. Red wattle birds are the exception. They are everywhere.

However, the ospreys are nesting again at Devil's Elbow, Peppermint Grove. They are in the same dead tree as they have been in, the last couple of years. It hangs over the river. It looks as if it will collapse into the water any time. Two birds were present. There was also one osprey perched at the top of a Norfolk Island pine, near Cottesloe beach

Around Mount's bay Road there are many nesting cormorants and darters.

If you want to see wild flowers in abundance, go to Cranbrook and Mt. Barker, particularly to the Banksia Farm at Mt Barker. The man in charge there can tell you exactly where to go to find an abundance of orchids and he has put markers, saying just what they are, on many. Unfortunately it was raining while we were there, but at least wild flowers stay still. Also he can tell you a lot about banksias.

Further south, around Denmark, we saw beautiful blue splendid fairy wrens, and western spinebills which are exceptionally handsome little birds, somewhat smaller than the eastern spinebills. Red-capped and elegant parrots and both Baudin's and Carnaby's Black-Cockatoos, the latter said to be endangered were seen in that area. On wind swept Cape Leuwin we saw a pipit.

Elizabeth