canberrabirds

Grey Plover

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Grey Plover
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:01:29 +1000
Hi !

Richard Allen (COG) rang me this avro Fri 2 Oct saying he had spotted a Grey Plover at  the Narrawallee Inlet  near Mollymook/Ulladulla.  Knowing that Richard is a new chum in the birdo world and inexperienced in the knowledge of bird identification I thought I'd pop over to check. I quickly removed any doubt that he may have had, and that it was indeed a Grey Plover.  The mans unreal, as we're hurrying over to see G. Plover  he casually looks up and sees a greyish silhouette 300mtrs away flying towards us and IDs it as a Square-Tailed Kite immediately. It was him that found the Spectacled Warbler immediately at Yatteyattah NR that took me an hour to catch a glimpse of the last time I seen him down here.  Isn't he lucky that he can call me to confirm them!!!   Not only that, he thinks that the seal that he seen earlier at the  inlet could have been a Leopard seal. This is possibly the same one that has been hanging around for app 3 wks now. Seemingly it had been attacked by a Cookie Cutter Shark  according to the Parks & Wildlife people and has been lying up until the wound heals over.

Cheers

Bob Rusk