canberrabirds

Chat-line etiquette

To: <>
Subject: Chat-line etiquette
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 21:09:37 +1000

As President I am fortunate enough to be in a position to receive compliments on the things that COG does well.  One of these is the email discussion forum, or chat-line .  The chat-line has been an innovation that is of  great value to both Group and non-Group members and is an excellent medium by which we can all benefit from each other's birding experiences.

Because the chat-line is an open forum for discussion on birds and their habitats it is important to ensure that the Forum is open to anyone and that there are no suggestions that  postings are not welcome.  For the more experienced bird observer it is important to remember the thrill of seeing a species or some aspect of behaviour for the first time and to be able to share that experience.  Repeated postings of observations on any particular species should be encouraged for it is in this way we are all able to learn from other's experiences.

As I encourage all relevant postings to the chat-line I also encourage those observations to be documented with the COG database.  A form can be found on the COG website (see under 'Maps, Forms and Lists' ) or, once an observer has been registered, observations can be entered on-line.  Registration is possible by logging onto http://cogatlas.org.au/

I would like to take this opportunity to remind contributors that it is best practice to make sure that posted emails have an appropriate subject line.  This is best done by writing a new email rather than just clicking on the 'reply' button.

Good Birding

Chris Davey (President)

24 Bardsley Place
Holt