canberrabirds

Fwd: URGENT: Tree removal near Manuka

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Fwd: URGENT: Tree removal near Manuka
From: Dan & Heather Buchler <>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:13:32 +1000
Further to Nick Payne's e-mail, here is our effort.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan & Heather Buchler <>
Date: 2 October 2009 7:10:55 PM
Subject: URGENT:  Tree removal near Manuka

Dear Chief MInister

We are writing to you, as Minister for TAMS, about the chopping down of trees on the median strip of Captain Cook Crescent near Manuka.  Some of these mature trees have hollows in which Eastern and Crimson Rosellas are currently nesting.  Accordingly, we urge you to direct relevant contractors not to fell trees if they have nesting hollows, at least until the end of the breeding season.  I further urge the ACT government, through you, to ensure that where mature trees with nesting hollows are removed, that nesting boxes be established in nearby trees to ensure that the birds can continue to breed in future seasons.

Chief Minister, I read recently that you have a love affair with Canberra.  So do we.  And one of the reasons we love this city is its bird life (excluding feral starlings and Indian Mynahs).  So please Chief Minister, because it is within your power, will you do something to preserve valuable nesting sites for native birds.

Yours sincerely
Heather & Dan Buchler