canberrabirds

Help with ID, please.

To: <>
Subject: Help with ID, please.
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:18:54 +1000
Hi Margaret

I would say it is a Buff-tailed (rumped) Thornbill.
.
The pale eye means it is definitely not a Brown Thornbill.
The delicate scalloping on the forehead distinguishes it from the Yellow-tailed (rumped) TB (which has white spots on a black base) as does the absence of the bright yellow patch on the rump which you would have likely noticed if it had been that bird.
Buffies do have a rump patch, but it much the same as the rest of the body colour, so not very obvious.

If you heard it call (which you say it did not do), it should have made a light, high metallic tinkling call.
It would most likely have had some travelling companions, as they are generally NOT solitary birds.
Both are points to look for (listen for) if you go back there.

They like shrubby, rocky dry hillsides, with grass tussocks.
The area at the top of the Rainforest Gully (above the rainforest) at the Botanic Gardens is typical of their favoured habitat. My memory of Kambah Pool is sketchy, but I think it is right for them.