canberrabirds

Namadgi Visitor's Centre

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Namadgi Visitor's Centre
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 05:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
I hope the attached picture isn't too big for the mailing list.

I went to the Namadgi Visitor's Centre this afternoon specifically because
someone had mentioned seeing Sitellas there, and happily I was not
disappointed.  I'm something of a newbie to living away from the coast, and
haven't seen (or at least identified) a Sitella before.  This one was very
obliging in terms of spending a lot of time where I could easily see it and I
managed to catch it leaping from a branch where it had been digging for insects.

I also got nice photos of a White Throated Treecreeper and a Grey Shrike
Thrush.  Other species included a Black Faced Cuckoo-Shrike, Yellow Rumped
Thornbills, Dusky Woodswallows, Eastern Rosellas (unusually yellow on the back
of some), Hooded Robin (another new one for me) and a Wedgetail passing
overhead.  All this was in the area around the short loop track behind the
centre, except the Woodswallows which were in front of it.

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Sitellas.  Nice to add a new species and to
spend some time observing its behaviour!

It was great to get some really nice photos with the mirror lens.  If only it
wasn't so hard to focus, but it's so much more portable than a standard 500mm
telephoto lens.

Rob

=======
Rob Geraghty