canberrabirds

CollaredSparrowhawks anyone?

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: CollaredSparrowhawks anyone?
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:08:36 +1000
Has anyone seen Collared Sparrowhawks round the Canberra burbs of late? Used to see them a couple of times a year in the Holt yard and was always amazed by how trusting these little hunters were, tolerated a really close approach. Often perched very close to houses too. But alas, nary a one for about three years.

And last year no Silvereyes came by, but happily, yesterday morning there was a group of ~ 6 gleaning among almond blossoms. Used to be some interest/excitement when we identified the southern Victorian and Tasmanian race, but the ones seen this morning were Canberra birds. I know because one mentioned they were having a flex day. The flowering plums outside my bedroom window are about to burst into blossom. These are usually a big Silvereye drop-in centre, and I can lie in bed and watch them. See Big Mal got it wrong, life was meant to be easy.

John Layton.